Friday, January 29, 2010

Poopsicles

My aging dog has developed several disorders. Or at least I think of them that way. One of them involves flatulence, which isn't pleasant! I'm lighting matches several times a day now. Nasty. He never used to do this as a young dog. I think he's getting old and dealing with digestive problems or sphincter control or some such malady. Watch, next he'll become incontinent. Can't wait for that to start.

It is sort of funny, though. He sleeps most of the day, and sometimes during a deep sleep he'll lift his head, dazed & startled, and sure enough in about 30 seconds I can smell why. He actually farts himself awake! Naturally I sleep right through such things (apparently.) But then, I'm not as old as he is, either. He's about 80 in dog-years. This dog is getting perilously close to the doggie equivalent of hospice. (don't ask - it involves injected chemicals.)

And then to top it off, with the onset of sub-zero temperatures he has developed a seasonal habit of eating frozen poop. Big piles of it. Naturally his breath smells like... you guessed it. He has always loved to raid wastebaskets and eat snotty kleenexes, which is gross enough. But poopsicles?

AAAH.. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?

Apparently this phenomenon is not unique to Devil Dog, either. There is actually an animal behaviorist (?) who wrote an online article about it. Maybe when it's frozen, the odors are not so off-putting, and the texture is more like a biscuit. Treats! Eww.

It's just gross. Don't be trying to lick me now, mutt-face. I know where your mouth has been.

At least he's not a paranoid schizophrenic, like this dog. Apparently everyone's after his bone - even his own hind foot.

If only my dog could develop some kind of endearing talent. Like.. singing along to Gwen Stefani. Or.. just convincing me he's not stupid.

Nooooo. He has to eat poopsicles.

No comments:

Who links to my website?