Tuesday, June 23, 2009

HVAC, ASAP!

At 1:45 this afternoon, my outdoor thermometer read 99.3 degrees.

And last night the air conditioner stopped working (in both home and office.) Aargh. Nice timing. Sort of like being on vacation when your boss quits. Not when you want that to happen.

So, an HVAC guy is coming over (soon, I hope) to look at the thing. God willing, it's a quick fix, and not a total replacement.

Here I thought that leaving the oppressive heat of the Carolina low country would be a relief. Ha. It was actually preparation!

And like a true diehard, I went to the indoor track (cooler, but still 70+) and ran at noon (shorter than normal due to the two-week vacation layoff), knowing I would come home to a sweatbox. Yuk.
But darn it, life can't grind to a halt because of a hot spell, right?

Right?

Where IS that a/c guy anyway?



P.S. Heard a great new song today by Regina Spektor from her new album "Far". It's called "Laughing With", and it's pretty profound coming from a girl that sings an aria about a lost wallet and Blockbuster card.

2 comments:

Future Urban Planner said...

Dude, don't complain, we don't run the a/c because it's so $$$ and you know who'd be footing the cost anyway :P Think of it as your involuntary contribution to helping the environment by not emitting additional freeon into the universe while I sit and swelter in the heat and my environmental self-righeousness. Three years without personal a/c more than makes up for my other environmental indiscretions, right? Right? Hmm, I see myself camping out at the USC libraries- got to keep those books from molding and I AM paying for it! LOL loves, J1

Bill said...

Yeah, yeah. I figure my total lack of a commute contributes enough to lowering my carbon footprint that I can whine about lack of a/c and still be moral. :)

The good thing was that it was only a $20 part (a flux capacitor or some such thing) that needed to be replaced, and viola! up & running again. No freon was released into the environment. We even gave honest employment to a local tradesperson from the neighborhood. I feel all good and snuggly with my environmental self now, and about supporting local businesses, too.

Not to mention I feel way cooler. :P

Who links to my website?