Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gourmet dining... in a barn?

Well, yesterday we certainly went from one extreme to another.

Breakfast at the Waffle House across the road from the hotel. Mmm, mmm, mighty good. And cheap. The food, I mean. I really can't comment on the wait staff in those same areas. Although I could venture a guess.



The cheesy eggs were perfect, as were the grits with butter & salt. Bacon crisped (with a flat iron on the griddle), and one real nice biscuit, yes sir. I had them hold the raisin toast in favor of the biscuit.



Lunch, however, was another matter. Not the Waffle House, but the Biltmore House. Yikes!



And even though the restaurant was where they used to keep the horses back in the day, the place cleaned up pretty nice.



And the food was also mmm, mmm, mighty good. But, um... not cheap. Salad topped with flank steak and grilled peaches, chunks of white cheddar, and fried onions. Marvelous.

As before, the drive up the mountain and along the Blue Ridge Parkway found the temperature dropping about 5 degrees for every 1,000 feet gain in altitude. I'll take something right about 3,500 ft., I think. Just right.

1 comment:

Future Urban Planner said...

Would I lie about the Waffle House? Glad you enjoyed it.

Who links to my website?