Sunday, December 28, 2008

Post-Christmas Gifts

I know full well the sentimental value of a CD burned for you by someone close to you. Somehow the music is that much sweeter. :)

So it was pretty sweet for me that, in the last 48 hours I wound up:

1) seeing J2 playing in his car the new Augustana CD I had burned for him a few months back,

2) having V, one of my nieces, ask me for a "mix CD" of things I like ("surprise me with stuff I haven't heard", she says), and

3) fulfilling J1's request for CDs of my best Sinatra, Clooney (Rosemary, not George), and Martin (Dean, not Ricky) tunes, as well as my LaMontagne, Feist, Stereolab and Gnarls Barkley.

Aww... glad to be of service to you, kids. ;)

To do this, though, I had to go out and get a spindle full of blank CDs (I had used my last one just recently recording some French Jazz...) Found a good price on a stack of 100 TDK blanks at Office Max, $14.95. :)

But while I was out, I found a few other bargains and also solved my music storage problem (I think). My iTunes library is up to around 75 Gig now and... it's clogging up my iMac's hard drive. So... off it goes to a new external drive to play from there and give me that space back on my main internal drive.

It's been copying over now for about 3 hours... hope it plays back faster than it copies. So I guess this was a "To: Me / From: Me" gift, huh? Sort of like this "gift of self" blackberry/pineapple sherbet I'm making from the leftover buttermilk... mmmmm.

I love this website for figuring out what to do with leftovers in your kitchen. :) Just enough buttermilk left over for pancakes New Year's Day, too. But after that, it's back to normal! (For both food and exercise, hopefully. Walking again tomorrow. Maybe running??)

Sure was great to see everybody and hang out with all three generations of family. But Christmas is past now, so it's off to the airport now to send J2 back to California.

Safe travels, Kitten. Nice cooking with you! Thanks for your "gifts of self", too, and bringing my words to life. :) Can't wait to get the illustrations to the printer...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha. well, even if we did get our "fair" share, it didn't seem long enough. I have in mind to send an email your way in the next couple weeks. Hold me to that :).

Future Urban Planner said...

Meow! Hello from California- this kitten is back to her warmer climes- be looking for a blog posting on that soon ;-) and is rather grateful for it. But I had a truly wonderful time w/ you, tho far too short.

Hey, a thought on your independent study w/ the whole is God outside of time, does He know the future, does He (just) react to it like we do?- I was writing a note to L-E as is my habit of writing a post-Christmas note to the girls & I was thinking of how God works in our lives- specifically who, if applicable, we will marry.

Is it fair to say that He knew that you & D were to be married, while also in His infinite-? knowledge that other marriages come together, only to dissolve? I mean, we often say that God creates us for a purpose- whether we fulfill it remains to be seen of course- there is a lot of wasted potential out there, and we usually mean a vocation. But shouldn't it stand to reason that if He has created a soul mate for some people and if they are truly meant to be He will orchestrate a way for them to come together? And I don't mean in the soft-focus romantic comedy way, but really and truly meet and form a life together? Or have I been listening to too much Sinatra? ;-) Food for thought. . .

Who links to my website?