Saturday, December 13, 2008

Healing up

...slowly but surely.



{WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES AHEAD! NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!}  

:P



It's 5 days now since the surgery, the wounds are no longer bleeding, the swelling is down a lot. Time to take off that nasty Ace bandage and sterile dressing and go to regular Band-aids.

And a normal shower this morning! Yay! :D

I feel human again. Bruised... but human.

Going out last night (shopping, dining & a movie in Uptown) was okay.   I managed without crutches, including stairs at the theatre.  And I only had to consent to a wheelchair once!  :P  (at this massive garden center where walking the grounds would otherwise have sent me back to the hospital for sure...)

Range of motion is coming back, too. Although the inside part is still "pulling" in certain positions. But I'm going to go down to the gym today and see if I can get it to go around on an exercise bike.

Whatever that iodine-based soap is that they wash you with, it's just awful to get off. It stains your skin yellow, and is sooo sticky. Yuck-o. Makes you look jaundiced and more bruised than you really are.

Wanna see??

Of course you do.  ;)



This is the wrapped-up version, suitable for children.









Oh, but here's what's underneath... Yikes!  I think I look like one of Dr. Frankenstein's experiments. ;)







In the post-op conversation the surgeon said:

"You have a pretty good-looking knee for a guy your age."

Aww, gee, thanks, doc. I guess I have been told that they're cute, in a ruggedly masculine and hairy sort of way. :)

"No, I mean, there's no arthritis or age-related wear and tear."

Oh.

That way.

Well, I suppose it's still a compliment of sorts...

Although I have a feeling I'll never have my normal knees back again. One will have scars. :(

2 comments:

Future Urban Planner said...

As Elisabeth once astutely observed, scars tell a story. I like scars- mainly on other people ;-) It shows you did something and lived to tell about it.

PS- the package has a copy of the World is Flat, which I borrowed from you, who borrowed it from Grandpa- it's not wrapped (but the presents are) & there are some notes that I post-it flagged- please keep in- that I want to use for my blog before I give it back unless you're interested in reading it- is fascinating!

PPS- found some restaurants & bars for us to try out- Murray' Restaurant www.murraysrestaurant.com downtown Minneapolis "Its entryway is a portal to a perfectly preserved 1940s dining room, from the mirrored walls to the waiters serving up old-fashioned and martinits. Maybe it's the dim lighting, but every view looks like a photo from somebody's parents' wedding, taken with a Kodak brownie. THe Silver Butter Knife Steak so lovingly captured on the marquee is a 28-oz. sirloin for two- carved tableside -GQ


Can't wait to get back w/ my intellectual sparring partner ;-) Things are "dry" here- more basic human relations, not questions of the universe- eh!

Perhaps we can ponder things over a pint- Esquire recommends the Bulldog NE in Minneapolis- you're having a pint of Summit Extra Pale and the tater-tot hot dish Here , bar food like Vienna beef hot dogs & truffle fries are the indulgence of an inventive chef not pretentious irony. Or just come for the 24 regional beers on tap 401 E. Hennepin Ave 612-378-2855

and Nye's Polonaise Room
You're having a manhattan, rocks If they made a sequel to Fargo, the first scene would be set here. Te spatkling vinyl booths and sing-along piano bar made this place the epitome of swank for the generations of Polish-Americans who popualted northeast Minneapolis. Thankfully, the old-timers refuse to yield. 112 E. Hennepin Ave. 612-379-2021

or, my favorite- Half Time Rec St. Paul you're having: a round of Guiness Rowdy but friendly blue-collar barn of a joint with Irish music. Oh, and strangley for an Irish pub, bocce-ball courts in the basement 1013 Front Ave 651-488-8245

Something to consider- see you in about a week!

Bill said...

Definitely ready for your visit, Kitten. :) Maybe not for the Visa bill that will follow our pub crawl...

By the way, I have a few ideas of my own, too. I do get around a bit, you know. ;)

Who links to my website?