Sunday, December 21, 2008

Music Reviews: Coldplay, Jamie Lidell, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

Gosh, I suppose this should be a holiday music review, shouldn't it? 

Oh well. :)  By this time in the season, I've about had my fill of endless variations on "White Christmas" and "Little Drummer Boy." It's plenty white around here, thanks, so go sit on your rump-a-bum-bum, kid. Take a load off, and stop with the drumming already.

Coldplay - "Prospekt's March EP": Great little EP, serving as a followup to their "Viva La Vida" CD. I think I like this one better. :)  Eight songs and no clinkers, a solid coherent set.  When I have it playing, I sort of "set it and forget it", don't feel like changing what's on.  Favorites: Glass of Water, Rainy Day, Lovers In Japan (finally a remix that improves over the original!)

Jamie Lidell - "Jim": Amazon.mp3 strikes again. $1.99 for his latest CD, and yeah - great stuff. Blue eyed soul.  I first heard him doing "What's the Use?" from his CD, Multiply, and was sold. on his neo-soul style  So cool.  This CD is more of the same.  Favorites:  Another Day, Out Of My System, Little Bit of Feel Good, Green Light, Where D'You Go?, Rope of Sand.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - "100 Days, 100 Nights", "Naturally": Boy, here is where Amazon.mp3's marketing pays off. They give away a sampler from DapTone records (a neo-soul label), and wow! Who is Sharon Jones? The Dap-Kings? Man, what a sound!

She was born one year after me, and began her singing career in her late 40s. She sounds like she is right out of the 60s R&B scene.  This girl is good (for an old lady...)  Lots of relationship songs, done with sass as well as heart.  Oooh - just like good coffee, baby, she's dark, smooth and hot.  Mm, mm, mm.

So Amazon's giveaway turned into two albums sold (to me) at their regular price. And I may go back for the third. :)  Favorites: from "100", the title track, plus Be Easy, Keep on Looking.  

From "Naturally" (the better of the two CDs, I think), Natural Born Lover, You're Gonna Get It, How Long Do I Have To Wait For You?, Your Thing Is A Drag, and How Do I Let A Good Man Down? (a unique lyric about a girl saying goodbye to a guy who gives her steady love, so she can  be with a guy who thrills her soul instead.)

Each one of these CDs would be a nice surprise in your stocking.  :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?