Monday, March 17, 2008

Concert AND Brackets

Nothing like multi-tasking, and Sunday was a day for it.

After church, I finished and emailed off the last paper to the TS502 prof around 2PM, went for a run, read the Sunday paper, watched Tiger come back and stay undefeated for 2008, had some dinner... then when the NCAA selection show got finished, I quickly printed out the full bracket, and took a couple of copies along, folder away and tucked into a chest pocket in my bibs. Then, off to the concert venue!


By the time I got there, they still hadn't opened the doors, so.. I wasn't late! :) But, was the line ever long... And, it got a little colder, too, and a breeze had picked up, so I was chilled when I got inside. Brrr.. It certainly got warm in there later, but I left my coat on for a while.

People watching was interesting, both in line, and inside. Quite a mix of ages, too. There were a ton under thirty, but a large portion between 30 and 45, too. I could hardly believe all the smokers! Wow. I thought, I guess, that it was going out of fashion, particularly among the under-30 crowd. Guess not. People were saying "I need one more before we go inside.." Hm. Addiction is alive and well; reminds me of a topic for a theology paper.. ;)



First Ave. is not as intimate as The Varsity, and there is a decided lack of bar stools. Wound up standing for 4 hours. No sore feet this morning, though.. must be the running. At least I had a spot at a counter, so I could set down my water glass, and do some writing on a flat surface.

There was a loooooong wait for the first band, HoneyHoney. I wound up doing my bracket picks while I waited. :) I was a little miffed about Wisconsin's 3rd seed. Hmpf. I think they got disrespected. I have them running the bracket until they hit Kansas. So do some of my co-workers, I found out this morning during some pre-meeting chatter. I think they'll make the Sweet 16 for sure, but maybe the Elite 8, although I don't know. It's much like I feel about Marquette getting by Stanford; I hope so, but I don't know.. it's a good reason to have both a logical bracket and a sentimental one. :)

So by the time the first band comes on, I'm all set with my picks, just have to go to ESPN.com when I get home and enter them. One more task in a task-full Sunday. HoneyHoney was kind of alternative country, I guess. Mediocre. Then there's a solid half-hour wait for the next band. Why so long? At Varsity, they only need 10 minutes to switch gear. Much crisper.



But the second warmup... wow. Really, really good. Matt Nathanson is the singer/songwriter - no name for his band. But boy, they could play, and he had a great rapport with the audience. They were super-loud for him and were singing along with his songs. After Lent, I have a little iTunes shopping to do.. :)


Then, another long wait, and the lead act comes on. Lifehouse is a good band, strong playing, nice sound. It's just... oh, I don't know. Their music isn't as - happy? :) Lyric-wise, it's not that different, but their demeanor on stage and the approachability of the tunes isn't as good as Matt Nathanson was. So.. I listened to half a dozen songs.. and left. I saw the best of the night in full, I think. Funny how concerts are like that. Sometimes you just relate better to one of the warm-up acts. That's been the case for me three times in the last 5 concerts. Hm.

Anyway, not a bad night out. :) Felt like a reward after finishing the paper. Yeah. Good job.

No comments:

Who links to my website?