Friday, July 29, 2005

Packing up

Boy, I really do not want to pack my office...

I have boxes from the last move (4+ years ago) that I haven't opened. I suppose they should be tossed straight out, but I keep thinking my office is going to get bigger someday ... :) Yeah, right.

Just emailed my boss on record retention. We went through a training class on that topic, to know what to keep and not to keep, but I'll be darned if I can remember a thing about it, except to not do what the boys at Enron did. So, do I box up pertinent files and ship them off to cold storage somewhere? Do we have a corporate deal with someone?

The technical books, the employment records and the desktop trinkets (memories of dubious achievements and of people I love) will come with me wherever the next job is, but the rest of this stuff... yuk. To the shredder or the dumpster with you!

What I really hope is that I can take my laptop with me. If I can't, I will have to dump off the bulk of the hard drive onto an external zip drive. There's just a few non-work-related items on it. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone - they might fire me. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?