Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Severance

Got the official letter today... about 3/4 of a year of salary as severance. Oh boy!

Pfui. I mean it's nice and all, but couldn't I just have the darn job instead?

Still, it's a chunk of change and will help with college bills for J & J. I'll take it.

But, now the question is: if there is a job with another company, and it comes up soon, and it's time-sensitive... do I take it and pass up the severance? Or do I resolve firmly to stay through the next 3 months and take my chances that there will be a job for me then? I could enter every interview situation saying "I'll be available to start as of mm/dd/2005", and pick a date say, 2 weeks after my official termination date, whatever they eventuaily tell me that is.

Is the "bird in the hand" in this situation the 3/4 year of pay, or is it a job offer in hand? I don't know. Right now I'm leaning toward working through the severance period and taking the money, one) because there are people living in this community that I still want to be near for as long as I can be, two) because the longer we wait to move, the more likely it is that Jonny will be able to come home from Freshman year at college to his old room over Christmas break, and three) because I still hope that something will change between now and the severance date that will allow me to stay put. Wishful and sentimental thinking all, I know - but I'm a sentimental guy, which is why this all hurts so much in the first place.

Severance. You get more of it the longer you have been with the firm. It's in theory a reward for being a loyal long-term employee. So, why doesn't it feel like a reward?

No comments:

Who links to my website?