Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Do You Feel A Draft?

I told a friend the other day, there are so many doors opening and doors closing, that it feels breezy in here... :)

The recruiters are busy, putting my qualifications out in front of companies. Four potential jobs closed this week, three more opened... Had a phone interview on Tuesday that went well, with positive feedback afterwards to the recruiter. Have another one set for Friday morning. Things look promising in a New England community we used to live in, and also in the Chicago Loop, at least for now.

Other possibilities are sitting, percolating... One of the recruiters dropped off the radar screen after shooting all two of her bullets and hitting nothing. Just as well, I didn't know her, nor her me. Another recruiter from my past called - someone I don't care for. Kind of gave him the brush, after hearing that his opportunities were roughly the same list as my regular recruiter has. They're circling like vultures, hoping to snatch something useful from this still twitching casualty... ;)

A friend mentioned to me yesterday after reading a previous post of mine, that he didn't think it's all about money, or that deciding things based in large part on money necessarily means materialism or shallowness. Rather, money is about freedom and choices. An example is - if I won $5MM in a lottery yesterday, would I necessarily have more material possessions today? Not unless I chose to spend it that way. But what I would have is - more choices, and more freedom to choose what I do. I get that, I guess.

It's just that a job search where money is a big criterion is forcing me to narrow my choices (in terms of career options and communities) in order to maintain freedom for other choices (like lifestyle, charitable giving, legacy for children, retirement, etc.). It's not quite the same as winning the lottery, where you don't have to move to and work in a certain place to win. You just have to be lucky. Here, luck has little to do with it - you just want to make good choices. So - what are they, anyway?

Faxed a resume' and cover letter to a museum in Chicago today for Jenny. They have a position that might make some sense for her. She and Deb may also make a trip there this week to knock on doors and drop off resumes and look at neighborhoods. Hopefully she can get in to see some people. She's getting ready to move, but still mulling over where, exactly. Chicago works for me, especially since she can share a house with a family friend (in her mid-20s), for $100/mo plus expenses... beat that anywhere else! So the neighborhood's a little dicey... just be sure you work days, and park in the attached garage at night.

Had a great evening out with friends last night - at a concert with an oldies band. A little before my era, but still knew all the music. It was great to sing along and relax a little - could smile freely and laugh, and it felt really good. I need those kind of experiences, smiling, laughing, being with people I love. More, please!

No comments:

Who links to my website?