Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Publishing?

Ran across an article in the newspaper Sunday that discussed Amazon's new Kindle product, a handheld reader onto which you download books. The purchase price of the electronic books is a lot cheaper than buying the paper version, and you can carry many more with you as you travel around. At least that's the selling point for justifying the big initial cost of the device.

Personally, I don't read fast enough to plow through books that quickly. If I carry one book along when I go somewhere (like to a concert!), that's enough. Plus, I enjoy having them on my shelves, like a collection of friends and acquaintances. :)

I group them by general subject matter. These are my "theology friends", and these are my "mystery pals", and on this shelf are my "poetry lovers". Over here are my "sociology buddies", etc.

Yes, I suppose I could group them by spine color or something, but then it would seem odd to also think of them as my "black friends", my "white pals", my "brown lovers", and my "yellow buddies". I'm still trying to get past categorizations like that. :P

But the really interesting part of this article was the self-publishing feature they now offer on Amazon. Authors can upload electronic versions of their work, establish a purchase price, and get it out there for consumption. It's like the self-publishing that goes on in the Indie music industry. Cool.

So, I think I may compile some haiku that I've written and set them up there. I think I have a whole book's worth. ;) But I have to narrow the topic, and pick a catchy title as well as a good selection of keywords.

Right now i think...

love poetry! :)



And how about this for a working title:

"Haiku in Love: Romance, Love & Longing in Seventeen Syllables"

Hm! Hmmm...

mmhmm. ;)

Maybe in time for Christmas!
Who links to my website?