Wednesday, February 20, 2008

waiting for the duck to bounce

.


days are crawling by
how much longer must I wait
till a new month comes


.


It's still February. It's still dark. It's still cold. There's still snow.

There's no signs of new life. Everything is still hunched over against the cold. Like old people when they stoop over a walker, or later curl up into a fetal position as they near death. This is the month of the year that seems most like death to me: cold, dark, lifeless.

But at least the days are in double-digits now, and the first digit is.. two.

March says: "Wait. New life is coming. The world's annual rising from death is imminent. Give me my due, and before I leave, you will have hope again for a summer bursting with green, and a fall laden with fruit. Hang on, friend, and I will restore you to upright health, rescue you from the crippled, turned-inward gait of winter's hard, frigid grip. Wait for me.. and see vitality again."

Reminds me a little of the mascot to my Adium software for the Mac, a little green duck. :) When a programmed event occurs, he hops up and down with a happy face on, like he's saying "oh, look! oh look!" It's sort of how I feel when the first spring flowers poke up to greet the lengthening hours of afternoon sun. When I see them, I feel like doing a little happy dance, too.

The duck needs to hop more. And I need to do the spring happy dance. C'mon, March.. hurry.

No comments:

Who links to my website?