Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rearranging My Prejudices

William James once said:

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices."

God forbid I should do this. But.. perhaps he's right.

TS502 (as did TS501 before it, as will TS503 after it, I'm pretty sure) is upsetting my neat little system of thinking about God, along with all its prejudices. And darn it, I had all my biases and presuppositions neatly arranged in piles and shelves and drawers, too, like so many t-shirts, belts and pairs of socks. :(

Now I have to redo them all, give away what doesn't fit (some of the presuppositions were barely ever worn..) or what's out of style (those prejudices, certainly - soooo last generation), toss what's worn out (the biases in particular are looking shabby), and make way for all the new stuff I'm deciding I'll want to wear instead. :)

If only I can stop using them to put people in categories, (i.e. she believes like I do - she can be in my group; he believes something different - so he's uncool), now *that* would be progress.

Oh.. the TS502 prof granted me an extension for a week on my big integrative project paper, due to my week-long trip West. Yay! :) So I worked on my "credo" paper (what I believe about stuff) last night, and am almost done now - should finish it up before I head West.

And I could even go to bed by 9 last night! Wow. So I was up before 6 this morning (thanks to an early morning phone call to India), but was refreshed at least, and then checked to see if anyone online was up.. nope. But the birds were! Yeah, birdsong! :) It's almost March..

No comments:

Who links to my website?