Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Sleep therapy

I must be tired. Tired of classwork, maybe.

The weirdest thing happened on Sunday afternoon. I had finished an 8-page paper the night before, and was beginning the final week of Fall Quarter, with one book to read and a 15-page paper to write in the next seven days. So I thought I'd get a head start by trying to read the first third of the book on Sunday afternoon, maybe more if I could manage it.

Since any pro football I might have had an interest in watching was scheduled for evening games that week, I had the afternoon free. So after church, I work out at the gym, cool off, have some soup, then bundle up, grab the book, and head to Caribou Coffee for the duration. Good plan, right?

The place is packed with people, soloing or in small groups, and I find a little table and start reading, waiting for my large Breve' with sugar-free caramel to be brewed, as well as for one of the armchairs to open up. About halfway through the Breve', a lady leaves an armchair, and I scurry over and plop into the faux leather, sinking down in and propping my feet up on one of the little Ottoman Bears that roam the place in search of crumbs from biscotti or scones.

Four chapters and a free refill later, I take off my glasses, set down the book and rub my eyes. They sort of need closing, I think. Just for a little bit, while the refill cup cools off. People were talking, music was playing, chairs were scuffing around. The sounds kind of blurred together, and...

An hour and a half later...

I wake up! Except it's completely dark outside, and ... no one's faces are the same! Aaaaahh! What's up with this?

In my semi-groggy state I thought I had switched dimensions into some alternate universe, where day was night, coffee was served cold, and the people were all shapeshifters!

Seriously, it was freaky. For about a minute. And then I started wondering what the customers and staff must have thought. Did the barristas wonder if they should call 911? Did kids sit at the tables and whisper: "hey, look at the old guy over there sleeping, his mouth hanging open. let's go put a coffee bean in it!"

But thankfully, I apparently didn't snore (mouth and nose weren't dry or sore), and no one looked in my direction. Maybe this happens at Caribou all the time, I don't know. But you wouldn't think so, at a place where they trade in legal stimulants.

And the strangest thing is... I never take naps. Even if I try, I can't.

If this happens again, I'm calling the nursing home to book a room.

No comments:

Who links to my website?