Thursday, December 17, 2009

Obama's Nobel war speech

All three of my favorite columnists have written this week about Obama's speech in Oslo. This column by David Brooks (NY Times) is right on the money comparing the current president's view of human nature to that of theologian Reinhold Niebuhr's. It's essentially that of St. Paul, who saw a constant struggle between good and evil in the human heart (or in Paul's words, the flesh and the Spirit). They are at war with each other, and whichever one we help usually wins out. I'll leave to the article to explain Brooks' application of all that to Obama's view of war.

The other two columnists I follow regularly are David Broder (Washington Post) and Peggy Noonan (Wall Street Journal). They, like Brooks, understand human nature, as well as have a sense of history. When I read all three of these columns, I get a pretty balanced view of the news of the day. With Peggy on the right and the two Davids on the left, it's well-covered.

No comments:

Who links to my website?