Saturday, October 04, 2008

To Know and Be Known

With precious little time for it, but still trying to get a little reading done prior to class on Thursday, I got stuck on a particular quote from the author of my main hermeneutics text.

She likes to view Biblical texts as human communication, and posits this approach to interpretation:

"an interpersonal view of hermeneutics invites the analogy of friendship or relationship, whose goal is not completion for its own sake but continual longing to know and be known." -- Jeannine K. Brown, Scripture as Communication

I'd add to that a greater desire: to love and be loved.

And even better, to love those whom you are in the process of knowing, and to be loved by them, precisely because you are known.

It's like this quote by Victor Hugo, author of Les Miserables:

"The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."

Hear, hear. Well put, Vic, old boy. I wish I could get that across more clearly. And learn it myself.

No comments:

Who links to my website?