Sunday, September 21, 2008

Music Reviews: Beirut, Yo La Tengo, Zero 7, Matt Wertz

I've got a few reviews to finish up here before I head to KC in a couple of minutes, when I'll use that drive time to finish up an old stack of music I've been neglecting.  Almost done!  :)

In the meantime, some new discoveries.  (new to me, that is...)

Beirut - "Gulag Orkestar": A special deal on Amazonmp3, and hey! They're good!  A rock band with no guitars.  Oooh.  Well, they're an indie band, maybe not a rock band.  More like Gypsy folk.  Think Decemberists & Sufjan Stevens playing klezmer music and folk songs from Greece and Italy.  It really is cool stuff.  :)  Fascinating to listen to, love all tracks, but especially: Bandenburg, Postcards from Italy, Rheinland, Bratislava, Prenzlauerberg.

Yo La Tengo - "Summer Sun":  Very chill.  Smooth.  I like the switching between lead vocals; sometimes it's the tenor taking the melody, sometimes the baritone.  And despite the name, there's very little latin feel, only here and there (Winter A Go-Go, Moonrock Mambo).  Great background-y music for reading or dinner.  :)  Favorites:  Little Eyes, Season of the Shark, Today is the Day,  Tiny Birds, Don't Have To Be Sad, Take Care.

Zero 7 - "The Garden":  Also chill.  But not quite so background-y.  When the vocals are all in, they have a California sound like America used to, except there is more electronica in the instrumentation.  But when the female vocal is carrying things, they really sound like an altogether different band.  Really nice, though.  Favorites:  Futures, You're My Flame, Left Behind, Today, Fine Social Scene, Your Place, Crosses.

Matt Wertz - "Under Summer Sun": He gave away his last EP, "Where We Started" (which set up this album), on Amazonmp3. What a generous guy! And what a marketing strategy, too, to do that the day before the full CD is released.

I loved the tracks on the EP, so I definitely went out and bought the remaining 7 tracks on the new release which weren't already on the EP. I'm sure lots of people bought the whole album. I think musicians are getting the hang of what retailers (and lovers!) have known for a while. If you give a little... you maybe get a lot in return.

Favorites: I Will Not Take My Love Away, Marianne, Someone Like You, 5:19, Lord Knows How Hard I've Tried, With You Tonight, Keep Faith. This guy is like a fresh & clean, less introspectively-bluesy John Mayer. :) I like him.


No comments:

Who links to my website?