Sunday, September 21, 2008

Any Linguists Out There?

... who are also interested in sharing what they know?

Have tutoring in Math, Statistics or Theology to trade... ;)

See, it's this grad school course for Fall quarter, BT501 - Hermeneutics. Finally I saw the syllabus, and the requirements are making me nervous:

Course Description:

This course examines the whole range of issues that determine and are affected by the interpretation of texts, in this case biblical texts. Some of these issues are epistemological (how do we know things?), linguistics (how does language work?), genres (what types of literature are there? - even within the bible!), manuscripts (what to do when different manuscripts say different things), cultural anthropology and historical background (what difference does such added knowledge make in interpretation?) and application/relevance (how to bridge the gap between the text and us). The course is foundational for all study of the bible and theology. In fact, it's even foundational for interpreting any kind of human communication. Its main objective is to help students become better and more faithful interpreters.



Hoooweee. I may need some help here. I'll start the reading while I'm in KC this week, and find out! :)

Wish I knew a linguistics major. Hm.

No comments:

Who links to my website?