Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A big yellow mess

... was the kitchen today.

but it smelled really good!

Finally the yellow peppers came in at the Farmers' Market. They are so late this year. It was such a cool Spring.

So I chopped up a half-dozen and tossed them in the freezer with the red and purple ones I had already cut up. Colorful! I love them scrambled in my eggs in the morning, or tossed into nearly every sort of casserole or stirfry.



Then, thanks to K's attempt at making homemade limoncello for the last Three Track party, I thought I'd give it a whirl myself. So, searching the internet (as per usual), I found a likely recipe or three, assembled the ingredients, and commenced.



I love this microplane zester that J1 sent for Father's Day. I had used one in a cooking class and thought it was slick. Now I grate my own nutmeg - and it is soooo much better fresh!

Same with the lemons. The smell of the zest is delightful! And I managed to not zest my knuckles. :) (nor sample the product prematurely, which helped considerably with the knuckle safety part.)



And into the jug it goes, with the alcohol, to steep for about 80 days. Then add some sugar syrup to taste, and bottle. I have a feeling it won't save me any money to make it at home, but... maybe it will taste way better!

So.. I wait. Till Christmas!?! Oh, maybe it'll be ready by Thanksgiving. :)



Then, of course, I have left myself 18 naked lemons to deal with. They look so vulnerable in the sink. :( Awww... don't be scared.
I'll be gentle. (Yeah, right. I work out, you know...)



What do you do when life gives you lemons?

You make lemon sorbet! :D

Found another great recipe for that, using some of the zest to make the sugar syrup. It even calls for a little of the alcohol to keep it slightly soft. Cool.

Yielding to my firm pressure, 18 lemons gave up enough juice for a quart of sorbet, plus a couple of dishes full to sample at dinner. Garnish with sprigs of mint from the garden, and mmmm... lemony!

No comments:

Who links to my website?