Monday, August 25, 2008

How did I get to be here, like this, anyway?

Had dinner last night with the next-door neighbors. Even though we see them nearly every week at church, and sometimes in the yard, it's the first meal we ate together since moving here. Guess it was time. :)

They are graphic artists/designers, with home-based offices, and after dinner we looked at some of their work. For example, he is working on logo merchandise for the Wisconsin Badgers, and she is making greeting cards sold in local shops.

One of her cards caught my eye - it had a quote from Bob Dylan:

"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent."

Hm. Appropriate, since I had in my calendar to go to Confession today. (Which I did. And it was good. Helpful. It always is.)

After dinner it was time to go home and watch Mad Men on AMC. The final scene had the lead character sitting at dinner with the wife & kids, and the look on his face was one that he wears often in this series: "How did I wind up here, anyway? This isn't what I expected..."

It got me thinking of all the times I've thought that same thing. And I went to sleep thinking about it. And I woke up thinking about it, too. So here's what I was thinking about:



The life you are living right now is the result of an accumulation of your reactions and choices, both passive & active.



Life presents you with situations.
You react. You make choices.
Life unfolds.
You are presented with more situations.
You react. You make choices.
Life unfolds.
Repeat.



We all do this.
The situations we face differ, as do our reactions and choices.
But we all do this.



So if you ever wake up one day (as I have, often), look around you and wonder: how in the world did I wind up in this place, with this life...

just go look in the mirror.

No comments:

Who links to my website?