Tuesday, August 19, 2008

College kids, pasta sauce, scooters & drugs

It's that time of year. They're moving back into the dorms.

Our favorite college boy (J2) is back on campus now (I think...) but others we know are headed this way. JR, a favorite guest, came for dinner last night with his Mom and Aunt, on the way to move back in at Bethel. They're really fun to have around, and are a great excuse for me to try a new recipe for pasta sauce. :)

It's made with fire-roasted tomatoes and beets, red onion & garlic, served mixed with orzo. And while it's meant to be vegetarian, for the sake of our carnivore friends (yes, and me, too..), a little Italian sausage tossed in seemed like a good idea.   Oooh.  Yum.

But, to cut back on the carbs for me, I had an alternative to the orzo available. Shirataki noodles! I got the ones shaped like spaghetti. They're refrigerated, and you just rinse and warm them. Not bad. No particular flavor to compete with the sauce, and a decent size serving (8 oz) for $1.79 a bag.

And thinking about going back to college... D has one more week of vacation this week before her Fall semester starts. Plus, heard from J1 about her new mode of transportation. Cheap, electric, street legal, and it's pretty cute. Good enough to get back and forth to work, and should make the transition to use at grad school (USC?) pretty well a year from now.

I still get a few weeks to finish my summer reading list (down to one book now!) and see some concerts. :) My grad school class (Hermeneutics) doesn't start until 9/25 (after They Might Be Giants and Neko Case have both come and gone!) And with Stereolab in October, and Jason Mraz in November... Fall is looking pretty good in the music department, too.

Finally, I heard from my doctor this week and, yes indeedy, I am to stay OFF the meds for blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol!  Yay!  Cured!  (well, at least until January when I see her again.)  But for the two months I was off of them, nothing popped into the problem range.  So, good, good, good.  :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?