Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My First Hire!

Yay! :)

I've been trying to make an internal hire for several weeks to fill a big hole on my very empty org chart, and he finally said yes over the weekend. I negotiated with his current manager to get a 3/15 start date, although I've been roping him in on things already.

It's been such a long process, it was almost like a seduction. I invite him to interview, he does. He asks questions, I answer, he goes away. I pursue, he politely says he's thinking about it. I follow up, he plays coy. Has more questions. I take him to lunch and answer them. I pop the question. He'll get back to me.

Then, I start to have both Rug and Alpaca work on him for me (this sounds like junior high - "tell Bobby I like him"). He likes the attention and affirmation from the two SVPs, and gives me some signals that he's interested. We meet for lunch. More questions. I answer. I ask him to work for me. He hedges. Then, while I'm away, an email... "I look forward to working for you. Let's meet to discuss some further questions I have."

So before he changes his mind, I talk to his boss, negotiate the date (and the brideprice and the dowry, for Pete's sake), send in the HR change form and publish the news on email. Ha! She's mine now!!!! (I mean, HE is, of course. Got a little carried away there.)

Now we just have to consummate the marri... oops I mean complete the transition and get him physically moved over to my building and floor to get him away from all his old relationships, uh, I mean responsibilities. Yikes! The parallels... I hope the rest of my staff isn't so difficult to fill out. I don't want it to become like building a harem. Blecch. What must it have been like for King Solomon? All those trade negotiations, and then to have women come along with all of them... makes the head spin.

But, I have the next posting up! Just a glutton for punishment, I guess.

On another front, the official official official houseunting trip takes place 3/8-13. The way we usually do these things, we buy something that week. Period. I hope the right house is just waiting for us. Lots of listings coming on the market every day. Should be a good time to look. It'd be nice if it was also a good time to sell, too! One house in particular.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this analogy makes me smile. thanks.

NC niece

Who links to my website?