Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Retro Lounge

Went out to dinner with pastor and wife last night, after shopping for furniture at a local store with a modern and retro flair. What a funny conversation! :)

I'm insisting on being able to decorate one room in the new house with some real splash to it - edgy, avant-garde, etc. OK, so I was given the basement to work with. Still... it's a room!

I've settled on a 50's/60's martini lounge motif. And we looked at couches, chairs, end tables, small bar & stools, etc. Fabrics, rugs, throw pillows... I think I was the only one of the four of us that even remotely liked what we looked at. But, when has that ever slowed me down? :) I mean... those of you who know what car I drive would know that, other people's opinions notwithstanding, I like what I like! And there's no accounting for taste, especially mine.

So, I'm thinking bright orange and olive-y green and brown as the major colors, with a brown painted concrete floor, a light shaggy area rug, open modern cube shelving displaying stereo components and old vinyl albums, chagall prints on the walls in his characteristic oranges, reds, blues, blacks, yellows. Orangey-yellowy-olivey accessories (lamps, coasters). Bobby Darin or Sinatra on the stereo. Mmmmm.

Care for a drink? I have an excellent Bordeaux-style blend aged 16 months in bulk and bottled last Fall to rave reviews. Of course, as the winemaker I'm biased...

No comments:

Who links to my website?