Thursday, July 15, 2010

Theological Thematics

Usually when graduating from Seminary one has to submit a doctrinal statement which outlines one's theology. Fortunately, Bethel has recently changed its policy on this and requires an Integrative Portfolio instead. The IP is made up of papers from certain of the core classes which, together, are meant to deal with the major themes usually addressed in a doctrinal statement.

I'm glad of this change, as I'd rather not go through what seems to be a lifeless exercise of historical formality. However, from time to time, I do think about what unifying theme may bring together these disparate papers I've written, and lend some coherence to my IP. That's what this post is.. a place to pull my thoughts together and hold them for future review and use, maybe. So I suppose I'm writing to myself. :)

One of my Systematic Theology profs and many of the authors of readings for my classes are Christo-centric in their theology, seeing all of salvation history and theology past, present and future, as anchored in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus: the atoning sacrifice that reconciles us to God. I guess I am less Christocentric in my theology than I am Theocentric, and less systematic than relational.

Relational theocentric theology is summed up, at least to me, in the idea that God wants to have fellowship with people, and live among them. I see the whole of salvation history as being a progression in God's reaching out to take a people for Himself with whom He can dwell. This progression is marred at every turn by the failure of humankind - failure to fully commit to God, and failure to represent God well to the world.

After a variety of attempts at this, finally God simply had to take matters into His own hands and do what we would/could not. God became one of us and, in the person of Jesus, was humanly speaking fully committed to God, representing God well to the world. Jesus is the culmination of that salvation history, but not the totality of it. The incarnation is as important as the atonement; the Old Testament that preceded Jesus matters as much as the New that followed.

My view of theology is also less juridicial and more relational (and, as such, also dynamic and fluid). It's Kingdom-centric, I guess - all about the Kingdom (read: the influencing presence of God in the world. This is not synonymous with the Church or with Christianity, as the restorative influence of God in the world preceded both and is wider than both), and about relationships related to the Kingdom.

For now I care much less about WHO God is, or about God's nature (like the structure of the Godhead, the persons of the Trinity, things like homeostasis and homoousios, etc.), and much more about who we are in relation to God and to the world God gave us to inhabit (including toward others like us).

Since history's beginnings, God has been relentlessly looking to call a people to be His own, and dwell with them in that fulfilling peace we know as Shalom. Humankind has consistently rebuffed God in the process. But God has always preserved a remnant, and through them shown a way for humankind to return from their self-selected exile to a fulfilling relationship with Him.

That relentless pursuit of us by God, and His continual willingness to forgive our spurning of Him and restore the relationship, is what anchors my theology. The details can be left for others who have a bent toward hairsplitting. I'm content to focus on the big picture, the meta-narrative of God wanting to dwell among us, full of grace and truth... if only we will have Him.

No comments:

Who links to my website?