Friday, February 19, 2010

Just burn it.

Spent part of the day yesterday at Lakewood Memorial Park, metaphorically checking out places to bury this half-dead career of mine. I mean, it's on life-support as it is. On days like this I feel like just putting it out of its misery.

Well, actually, I ostensibly went there for the artwork in the chapel. It was something I never had time to do when I was working, as it was only open during the workday. So... why not, right? Might as well take advantage of my forced idleness.



I'd read about it in the local paper as being a beautiful restoration of Charles Lamb's Byzantine mosaic style designs. And beautiful it is.



There are four key figures in each corner of the chapel. This one is Memory, which in the context of honoring the departed, is elevated to the status of a virtue. And a pensively beautiful one, at that.



The others, of course, are Faith, Hope and Love.






The only creepy part was that in the basement of the chapel



by the colombarium, where they have marble niches to place urns,



is the crematorium, with a pair of side-by-side ovens.



Oooh, make me extra-crispy, please. It reminded me of that radical anti-materialist slogan from the early days of the Jesus Movement that we once used to remind ourselves not to get seduced by the world's allure: "hey, you know, it's all gonna burn!"



And so with this career of mine. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The only thing that we take from this life into eternity is the impact we've made on people. No walled offices, no awards, no titles, no possessions, period.

Worldly success fading? Youthful body decaying? Just burn it, man.

No comments:

Who links to my website?