Saturday, April 04, 2009

Friday Fish

It is tough for Milwaukee transplants to not be able to find a decent fish fry on Friday. When Culvers' Walleye Value Basket is your best bet, it's pretty sad.

The archdiocese has stepped up with a listing of parishes and KC halls that have fish on Fridays. But of course it's only during Lent and only advertised to Catholics.

Hm.. maybe that has something to do with the quality of the fish. Catholics do this out of obligation and only for a few weeks. But in Milwaukee, everybody goes, and all year 'round. So the fish HAS to be good. It's free market capitalism, man!

(Oh yeah, I forgot - that's not a popular phrase right now. But it does make for better fish.)

So a couple of weekends ago, I tried a KC hall in Fridley.  Nope.  
Never again.  But I think that was a local issue, really.  And not to give up on the KC altogether, last night we tried St. Tim's in Blaine, which was catered by the local post, and I have to say that the consensus rating was:  7 of 10.

Perfectly crispy fries, real nice slaw, decent coffee for once (even with powdered creamer), and baked beans.  
Baked beans with fish?! Hm.

Anyway, the sides were great.  The fish ... not so much.   Bland whitefish, heavy breading.

Ten bucks a pop for all you can eat.  Now if the fish were better, that might have meant something.  But still, we'd go back.  That is, if Lent weren't nearly over!

I talked to the ticket taker about doing these all year 'round, like they do in Milwaukee, and consider opening up the advertising for it to non-Catholics, and he looked at me like I had gotten loose from a mental facility.  Sorry to throw you there, buddy.  We're obviously not from around here.

But the best part was the local culture.  Fun!  This gang of people were happy, there was a nice mix of ages, including families.




And in the back they had the raffle and the bake sale tables going.




Kinda fun.  Next year I'll go every week and keep a spreadsheet of the features and quality.  And just to be safe, I think I'll include Culvers.

No comments:

Who links to my website?