Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Hanukkah!

"Jazz and Latkes" was how the event was billed. Hard to resist on the opening night of Hankkukah at Beth El Jacob only about a mile from the house. :)

The jazz combo was really young, but had an excellent grasp of the classic jazz repertoire. They play every Tuesday night at a club downtown, which I think I might just visit.


The latkes were accompanied by either sour cream or applesauce, plus several quiches and even jelly doughnuts for dessert. (Called "Sufganiyot", apparently.)


And of course, before dinner there was the menorah lighting and several blessings chanted, mostly unintelligible except for the part that went "Baruch attah adonai, Elohenu, Melech ha-olom..." etc.

That part I know from Passover. I even like my homemade cantor melody better than the Rabbi's, although I'm sure his was more authentic, if not quite as appealing.

No comments:

Who links to my website?