Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Fall Formation

This last weekend it was retreat time again. My annual excursion into the wilderness and isolation that is my own mysterious and willful heart. :) It's always a time of reflection and contemplation, and often a time of communion, too - with nature and the God who made it.

A Franciscan retreat center was the site this time. The accomodations were plain, as usual, but perfectly adequate for my needs.


Smallish, but comfortable.


And in the midst of some beautiful grounds, bursting with Fall color.


At this center there was a very nice labyrinth, which I walked twice.. once on the first day and once on the last. The first time in holy fear, and the second in an openness to listen. My current Seminary class is all about integrative formation, bringing multiple disciplines to bear on my becoming whole and holy. This tactile experience of meditating while walking in an ancient pattern from many centuries before me was but one such discipline.




There was a simple old chapel house on the grounds, with the altar lovingly restored. Beautiful.


And besides the human-crafted beauty, there was that magnificent beauty crafted by the Creator. Exquisite.





I love the Autumn. And the chance to be formed in the midst of it.

No comments:

Who links to my website?