Sunday, October 17, 2010

Run 1K? Are you kidding me?

It's been a while since I've worn one of these:



Following that nasty case of plantar fasciitis, and then the pinched sacral nerve, I was laid up for roughly 10 months. Packed on a few pounds over that time. And in a few practice runs last month, I found that the layoff and weight gain took a toll on my endurance. So I didn't think I'd be running through one of these any time soon:



But then, this charity event came along, and at a race length I thought I MIGHT be able to handle. One kilometer. One.

Yeah, man, that's my kind of athletic event. If you can call it an athletic event at all. It was mostly a beer run followed by a party.



This was the start of the race:



And here's where it finished:



So basically you ran from one bar to another, and had free beer at both ends. :) Warmups consisted of 12 oz. arm curls, if you get me. It's kind of awkward to run with a half-full beer cup. Kinda forces you to slow down. Not that slowing down is a bad thing...

The scenery was at least nice, running (and I use that term loosely) past the baseball stadium with a nice view of downtown:



I thought about renting a bike from the public bike kiosk, and riding the whole kilometer, but ... that wouldn't have been sporting.

No comments:

Who links to my website?