Tuesday, April 13, 2010

ministry

.


they also serve who
only stand and make coffee
maybe it's my gift


.


Well, sit and make coffee is more like it. Most of the time is just spent pot-watching. The evangelical church I attend on Sunday goes through about 12 big pots of coffee in a morning.



I think that's a lot for roughly 250 people in attendance. I mean, factor out 70 of those as being too young to drink coffee, and you've got about 1 pot for every 15 people. And how many of those are really not coffee drinkers, and stick with hot tea or water? Hm.

Well, whether or not it's a lot, it sure consumes my Sunday morning when I'm on "hospitality table" duty. The service is at 10, and I start making coffee at about 8:20 AM. I do it continuously for the next 2+ hours, and even when it's crisply efficient, I still sneak in to the service just in time for the sermon.



For a guy who has normally volunteered in roles that are either on the platform or in the classroom, this is kinda different. Very behind-the-scenes, and simple. It's not so bad to just serve quietly, giving people something they take for granted, and which helps build community as they linger around the treat table afterwards.

What can I say? If coffee-making edifies the body, it MUST be a spiritual gift. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?