Wednesday, March 03, 2010

John Mayer


"When you get to the top, you have to renegotiate with your dreams."

----- John Mayer


Well, he's made it to the top, he should know. And I do, too, in my own way. He talked last night at the end of the concert about getting to the point where he exceeded his own expectations, accomplished more than he set out to do, and then... didn't know what to do next.

I get that, John. For me that happened in 1999-2000, and for the last 10 years I've been negotiating with my dreams (and with everyone else in my life). I think I've reached an uneasy agreement with them now, and am working toward laying hands on the next set of dreams, but.. how can you really know until you get there? As he said last night, to move ahead from being on top... and to feel the wind in your face again... you have to go down for a while before you turn it back upwards again. Just... stop that downward run in time. :)

So last night... we went down to go up! In the parking ramp, I mean.



And up was... way up. Nosebleed section, rail seats. Yikes!



This time of year the Xcel Center is a hockey stadium. How you can see the puck from up here, I can't imagine.



Eventually the place filled up.



But I was surprised how sparse it still was for the opening act, Michael Franti and Spearhead. He's a talented guy, with a diverse style ranging from hip-hop to reggae to retro soul - and the tunes are pretty melodic throughout.



Regardless, they sure went nuts for Mayer. Groupies galore, and the whole place seemed to know the lyrics. (yeah, me, too..) You know they're fans when a song's first three chords make them erupt. :)



And while it was not exactly the U2 show in Chicago, it was still pretty fun. The guy is a remarkable guitarist as well. He could play blues alongside B.B.King and not be embarrassed. On the acoustic ballads he could share the stage with James Taylor and hold his own.



So, John.. thanks for the show.. and for the philosophy lesson.
I'm with ya, bud.

No comments:

Who links to my website?