Friday, July 03, 2009

Back in the kitchen again..

...he sings, as he chops onion and crushes spices.

It had been awhile since it was my turn to prepare dinner. And as of Wednesday, I'll again be doing it more often, since there is a second breadwinner in the house now. :)

D just started a part-time job at a local accounting practice in town. Just two days a week (M/W) for the summer, 3 days (M/W/F) in Fall while she finishes school, and then full-time beginning with next tax season. And it's not far away, either. A couple of miles down the street. Keep lowering that carbon footprint, you know...

So for now, it's fun to produce the occasional culinary masterpiece. :) Except when I throw some chopped onion in a saucepan of hot oil, and it splatters, catches fire, and I have two-foot high flames to put out! Yikes! I think I've lost my touch around pots and pans. But a little windex took the sooty residue right off the microwave, so it's all good. And the sauce! Ohhh. What's a little singeing of arm hair compared to that flavor?

It was something I clipped out of the paper: pan-fried salmon smothered in a sauce made with green olives, capers, pearl onions, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, basil, garlic, yellow onion, etc, etc... mmmm. Marvelous. Add the season's first fresh green beans from the farmer's market, with butter and a little salt, and - perfection.

So like I said, it's fun now. Two days a week. Maybe even three. But more? I don't know about that.

But I can think about that later. Right now, it's time to head SE again to an old favorite spot: a quaint little community with an outdoor Shakespeare theatre, for a couple of shows and a long weekend in a familiar B&B. Nice.

Happy Birthday, U-S-A. Thanks for the long weekend!

No comments:

Who links to my website?