Friday, December 29, 2006

Goodness of fit test

Well, that was... not what I expected.

Yesterday I had the heart-heart talk with PeBo (see post of 12/15/06) about his expectations and my ability to deliver on them, as well as my fit for the role, etc.

What I expected was to be out on my keyster, with a foot imprint on it to boot.

What I got was an active listener (too active - I had to constantly steer him back to my prepared script!), with some genuine concern for my welfare. :)

When I talked about my Meyers-Briggs profile (INTJ/ENTJ), the jobs I have found to be a good fit in the past (advisor/strategist), the difference between a thinker (me) and a do-er (him), and the difference between a Nehemiah (what he wants) and an Ezra (what he's got - see post of 12/03/06), it made sense to him. And finally, when I told him I had signed up for grad school at a seminary, the light bulb really went on. In fact, he stopped the conversation and said "oh, my - a light bulb just went on! I get it now."

He offered to talk to Rug next week and see if there were other work options for me around here that might play more to my passions (principle, concept, strategy, planning, motivating, teaching, writing, performing.) We even brainstormed a few, one of which was to craft a role as leader of an effort to coordinate all the actuarial and financial training around the company. That has a certain appeal.

Now, I don't expect that something like that will just fall out of the sky in the next 2 weeks, but I do think I worried for nothing (which is normal for me), since he seemed to genuinely have my best interests at heart, and saw that there were other ways that I could contribute around here and have a better fit with my style, personality, interests.

I'm hopeful coming into the new year, that 2007 will be a better year than 2006, both work wise and personally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa there, Bob - I think you have seriously lost perspective. Rule Number One of employment - Your boss is not your friend. Rule 1A - Your boss does not care about your personal issues. Rule 1B - Your boss will only seem to care about your personal issues if it is in the best interests of the company to do so.

The only way this is a good thing for you is if you were prepared to lose the job you have on the slim chance that something better might be available.

Don't quit stressing just yet - you may be doing the job search thing again in the new year.

Bill said...

I hear you, anonymous. I get rule #1. Been there far too often to forget that. As to rule 1A... I have had 2 bosses over the years who actually did care. And we are still friends. But 1B - you're right again. I haven't yet had a boss who went against his company's best interests for my sake and at his peril.

In this case, it might be in the company's best interest. Perhaps. That remains to be seen.

And as far as being prepared to lose the job I have - I'm pretty much ready right now to go live in a trailer and go back to school full time. But, I want to give grad school a try first (evenings and weekends) before I remove the "pretty much" clause.

I hear you. Thanks for the counsel.

Bob

Who links to my website?