Friday, February 22, 2013

Weather: How extreme is it?

Seems like the media is enjoying the process of hyping the weather the way they hype everything else, from the Oscars to the Fiscal Cliff.   SuperStorm Sandy!  Winter storm Q!  Snowmaggeddon!  Must we have a dramatic label for everything?

The latest hyped up storm which blew through here last night was initially forecast to drop some 20 inches during white-out conditions.  I just blew out about 5.5 from my driveway, and the only white-out I experienced last night was mistakenly opening my eyes when my face was buried in the pillow.

I'm starting to think that I should measure the extremity of winter by how many times I use my snowblower.  The little shovel-only snowfalls don't count.  Two years ago I didn't use the dang thing one time.  That was an unusually warm winter, and I would count it as extreme.

The count this year so far:  3.

That's within one standard deviation.  One more substantive snowfall (which is looking like Monday) and it will be right about at the mean.  

Yawn.

No comments:

Who links to my website?