Thursday, August 16, 2012

Worldviews, Part 3

Continuing from my prior post on what presuppositions brought me to my chosen religious practices, I had determined intuitively (and further evidence did not disprove my instinct) that something put the world as I knew it into motion and was keeping it functioning.  But what was that something?

*****

As I observed nature, from little on, three things have consistently struck me as characteristic of it: Beauty, Order and Vitality.  Each seemed essential to what I was sensing around me.  There is a stunning and marvelous loveliness to the world: shapes, colors, sounds, patterns, juxtapositions.  Why?  There is also a sequence to things, a cyclicality, an interworking, a system of systems.  Why?  There is a robust liveliness all around us, a fertility, a recuperative ability, a repetitiveness, a replenishing, an exuberance built in to the world.  Why?

Now, you can have each of these things without the others, beauty or order or vitality; you can even have them in pairs.  But the three of them together seemed to me to be the defining characteristics of the world around us.  But why these?  Why not ugliness, disorder and death, for instance?  Maybe the creative something that I intuited was responsible, had something to do with these characteristics.

It occurred to me as well that animals don't pause to contemplate these things.  They react to stimuli like people, have emotions and can learn & make choices, but they don't wonder why.  Humans do.  We can understand order, appreciate beauty, measure vitality.  But... who did those things before humanity was on this planet, before Cro-Magnon Homo Sapiens with a large frontal lobe and contemplative ability displaced the Neanderthals who showed little concern for art?  Who understood order, appreciated beauty, and measured vitality before humans? 

My intuition said - SOMEone had to!  Otherwise things wouldn't be like this, unless someone made it so, someone who actually wanted it this way.  So, POP!, in my intuition the creative and sustaining something had just become someone - a being, not a force.  What's more, this creative and sustaining Being apparently liked the same things I did, and worked them into nature: beauty, order, vitality.  How about that?  Made me wonder if I could learn more about that Being, either from deduction by using my senses and reason, or... by some other means I didn't quite know how to articulate (but, again, sort of knew intuitively might be available to me).  Was that Being approachable somehow?  Surely, that Being with whom I shared some appreciation of the world would be extraordinary in every sense of the word, and... if it were possible... worth knowing (or at least worth knowing more about).  And that's the next step.

*****

More in Part 4

No comments:

Who links to my website?