Thursday, September 01, 2011

Concerts are, um... evolving?

Recently I've noticed that artists are trying new things when it comes to acquainting people with their music.  Not only is there a lot of good music being released for free (try Noisetrade.com for one great site), but they are also doing concerts differently.  Some are doing "house concerts".  Here's an example of an email I got recently from an artist I like:

Iowa Friends!

We're coming to see you! Now, we know that your great state is vast and this show many not be all that close to everyone, but we're hoping you'll pass the information on to your friends in the area. We're so excited to share stories and songs with you! Here are the details:

Sept 23, Des Moines, IA. Open House Concert. Email us: jennyandtyler@gmail.com if you'd like to attend.

Curious as to what a house concert is? Allow us to explain. House concerts are held in an individual's home - usually the living room. Generally we play unplugged for about an hour and a half. Sometimes less depending on what else is on the agenda for the evening. Sometimes we sell tickets in advance, other times we ask for donations at the door. House concerts are about relationships. We spend about a half an hour hanging out before the show starts. We get to know each other. At the end of the night it feels like we walk away with 30 new best friends. Don't be scared. Some people will know the host, others won't. It's likely that we won't know them either. So come!

We hope to see many of you!
-Jenny & Tyler

Well, hey, J&T!  I hope to see you, too!  :)  In fact I am all over this idea.  Up close and personal?  Relaxed, easy setting, acoustic (probably) concert at a reasonable volume?  Yeah, yeah.  I'm in.  Probably.

Another idea that is being tried is a virtual concert on line.  And I suppose with the video and sound quality that devices have now.. it can work.  I mean, with internet TV a reality.. why not?  Here's another email I got.  Too busy to attend this one, but.. he's apparently doing it multiple times, so I'm sure I'll catch him later.


Hey friends!
I'm playing my first ON-LINE 'Live From the Living Room' show this Thursday night @ 7PM CST. That's right! I'll be in my living room and on your computer screen. This show is very interactive and will be totally based on your requests. I've already committed to playing 2 songs I haven't played in 10 years! I'll be taking questions and chatting during the show. I'm totally excited!
Get tix here:
http://www.stageit.com/grahamcolton/live_in_the_living_room/4018
Also, If you create your own facebook event page & promote the show, i'll play your song request!  Thanks so much!  See ya Thursday!
Graham

Email # 2, a few days later...

Hey Friends,
My 2nd 'Live in the Living Room' show has been added! The last one was so fun i'm doing another. I'm hoping to play a totally different set list this time....so please request songs on my facebook and twitter page.  Tickets are only 10 cents....well that's the minimum...you can tip if you want....and i do take bribes for certain song requests!
Here's the link to reserve tickets:
http://www.stageit.com/grahamcolton/live_in_the_living_room/4438
See ya there!  Graham


So, not a bad idea.  I can get into this.  No need to wrestle with shoulder-to-shoulder crowds trying to move from the merch table to the bar.  I can buy online and drink my favorite adult beverage in the comfort of my chair while enjoying a good musician.  Works for me.

No comments:

Who links to my website?