Sunday, February 06, 2011

Most Dominant NFL Franchise Ever?

I think of it in terms of how often you win championships.

It's very much like how you measure a home run hitter: average plate appearances between homers. The smaller the number, the more often he hits them out. You can do the same with NFL teams: average number of years between championships. Put another way, if you were a diehard fan who lived a full life, how often would you see your team take the title?

Well... here's the answer:




The Packers and Browns are in a class apart - a championship in less than a decade. The Bears and Cowboys are close to that level. Then there's the third tier, where the Giants, Raiders, Steelers and 49ers live. The Colts, Ravens and Redskins win one roughly every 15 years, and then there's the Patriots and yes, the Lions. Beyond that, if you're a fan you have to wait more than two decades, or roughly a generation, between titles. That requires a pretty significant degree of patience. In my meager (?) lifetime, I've seen my boyhood team win a half-dozen titles. Can you say that about your team? :)

So, even if Pittsburgh wins this year, they still wouldn't be higher than 5th all-time. If the Packers win Sunday, all they do is widen that margin they have over everyone else and cement their hold on bragging rights. I mean, the Browns aren't catching them anytime soon, right? The Bears certainly had their chance, but muffed it. And Dallas? I don't believe they played beyond the regular season...

I'm sure you get my point. ;)

No comments:

Who links to my website?