Sunday, February 20, 2011

Basilicae

What is a basilica, exactly? What's the difference between that and a cathedral? My prior city of domicile had one of each: the Cathedral of St. Paul, and the Basilica of St. Mary. Both were gorgeous, and inspiring. (if you go for that sort of thing, which I do) Personally, I always wondered what the difference was between those two gorgeous houses of worship. Wikipedia, of course, has the answer. And like many other Catholic terms... it depends. Sometimes they're one and the same thing, sometimes they're not.

In my current city of domicile we have one such item: the Basilica of St. John. It is also gorgeous and inspiring, with tone on tone exterior, cool columnar interior architecture, warm golden glows, and marvelous stained glass. See below.

































































































































































































































































I've been going to the campus center parish, but I think I'm gonna go to this one now. I like the grandeur and majesty. Plus, they need lectors for the Saturday afternoon mass. I can do that. :)

Except that little pope doll in the back makes me nervous.





It's sorta creepy. It makes me want to look for a ring to pull to see if it will say "Pax Vobiscum!" or "Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritu Sanctu.."
or something.

eww.

No comments:

Who links to my website?