Monday, October 27, 2014

Out of the woods it comes

Just back home from another year's personal retreat to a wooded, rural place where there's not much to do except read, sing, pray, think & evaluate where I am in life.

Such a dull subject, that last...  ;)

This year for the first time in I don't know how long, I repeated a location.  Normally I find someplace new, but a combination of lack of new places within a decent driving distance, and good memories of one I visited 4 years ago made the decision easy.

As to the accommodations, they were Spartan.  I rented a "hermitage", which was a straw-bale hut with propane powered stove & water heater, and solar power only for everything else (no normal AC outlets for radios, cell-phone chargers, etc.).  There was running water, at least, and a real bathroom.  It was essentially a teeny little studio apartment, which would have cost $1350/mo. in Berkeley, CA (based on my daughter's actual experience there), but parking was free, and linens provided.

A couple of views of things next.  First, looking from the main lodge toward the "hermitage".


Next, a zoom on the hermitage building I was in.


A view from my hermitage doorway.


The kitchen.  Such as it was.


Turn around, and ... there's the bed.  Not much to the place, but it did the job.


So as to the "read, sing, pray, think" part... that all went off without a hitch.

And the evaluation:  the trend is up!  :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?