Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Music Reviews: Stars, All-American Rejects, Ingrid Michaelson, Colbie Caillat

Here we are at the close of 2008, and I finally have caught up with my backlog of albums to review.  Yay, I'm current!  :)

Stars - "Set Yourself On Fire":  Pretty straightforward emo music here, but done well.  Besides the usual wall of guitars, they add strings and some synth.  It comes out nicely.  And having both male and female vocalists adds some spice to the otherwise routine lovestruck & heartbroken numbers.  I first heard these guys do "My Favorite Book", which I love, so when Amazon features them, cheap... well...  it's hard to pass up.  Favorites:  Ageless Beauty, Your Ex-lover Is Dead, What I'm Trying To Say, Soft Revolution, Calendar Girl.

All-American Rejects - "When The World Comes Down":  J2 has liked these guys for a while, so when their new CD came up on Amazon.mp3 for like, two bucks... I bit.  Yes, again.  Man, this is a hot album, too - great sound and excellent production values, right up there with Maroon 5.  I can see why J2 likes them (and why he might be jealous that I have this... and he doesn't!  Ha.)  Favorites: I Wanna, Damn Girl, Mona Lisa (When The World Comes Down), Real World, Believe, Sunshine.

Ingrid Michaelson - "Be OK":  Okay, this one is from the library.  :)  I don't buy them ALL.  She was great in concert this fall when I saw her with SQ.  Such fun on stage, and got real silly with her ukulele (you hear it on several tracks, incl. the title.)  She's definitely someone I'd see again.

Several of her songs are cleverly arranged, with acapella parts in the middle, or done in a round, or with changes in tempo or rhythm, or working across her falsetto break.  Interesting to listen to; you hear a little Fiona Apple or Tori Amos in her from time to time, but always sweetly delivered.  Favorites:  the title track, Giving Up, Lady In Spain, You and I (duet with Jason Mraz), Keep Breathing (a hit from Grey's Anatomy), The Way I Am (not the original hit version, but a jazzy live acoustic version.)

Colbie Caillat - "Summer Sessions":  A little 8-song EP just released as a followup to her smash "Coco" CD.  She doubles up with that CD on only two songs, "Magic", and "Bubbly", but the rest are new.  Like the Coldplay EP followup, this one is a great little set and stands on it's own.  It's easy and summery, not pretentious, just laid-back.  I'm starting to think that these 6-8 song low key EP releases are a good idea (especially at the Amazon.mp3 $1.99 price.)  Favorites: Tell Him, Somethin' Special, Hoy Me Voy (duet with Juanes from his "La Vida Es Un Ratico" CD, which is also just great).

No comments:

Who links to my website?